31 October 2010

Winifred Mary Mitchell - Murdered on 31 March 1913

 
Photo of Winnie taken about 1910


Winnie as described in the book 'Murder in Dorset - She Don't Want Any Money Where She is to', by Nicola Sly ".... an attractive brunette with a sweet face and a petite but curvy figure. She was a lively fun loving young woman ...."

Winnie is described by Graham Farrell in his book 'A Mix of Murders - The Departure of Winifred Mitchell' as, "...tall, dark-haired, independent-minded (if a little naive) ..."



A Murderer's Death, Burton Hanged, Confesses his guilt
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5417217



Covering Up Crimes -

I was There As told to Roger Guttridge

Buried in a Wood - Hawara & Normanby Star
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=HNS19130630.2.5

The Wimborne Tragedy - Extraordinary Letters Supply the Clue to the Crime
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=OSWCC19130812.2.31&l=mi&e=-------10--1----0--

BOOKS:
Murders in Dorset - 'She Don't Need Any Money Where She is to' by Nicola Sly
Dorset Murders - 'The Cook & the Trapper' by Roger Guttridge
A Mix of Murders - 'The Departure of Winifred Mitchell' by Grahame Farrell  http://kembra.dodeca.co.uk/A_Mix_of_Murders.htm




    St Mary's Church, Long Crichel where Winifred is buried



8 comments:

  1. Jo, That's really helpful - much appreciated!
    Best wishes
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie I believe the executioner was Thomas not his nephew Albert because of the time frame.

    Thomas William Pierrepont joined his brother Henry in the trade and was the executioner from 1906 to 1946. Albert who was born in 1905 later worked with his uncle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Pierrepoint
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-388591/Hangman-fell-trap-hasty.html
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have added a photo of Winifred Mitchell. This was taken about 1910 and two of her sisters were with her in the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, would i be allowed to create a painting of Winnie from the photo you have made public, or, could you give me the name of photo owner so that i may seek permission to use the image for a painting.
      I would also like to know if the spot under her left eye is a mole? lol
      I also worked at Manor Farm in Gussage st Micheal and i went to school with the Burton family. I think the Post Office at the time was near Punchy Edwards place. I also went to the school, i would have been scared to know what i know now, perhaps that's why my parents and family never informed me! lol

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just been informed by my mother that she is the eldest living relation to Winnifred. Have you information that differs to my mothers information!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Nigel,
    The photo was passed down to Winifred's nephew who was born 1932,so your mother's information is correct if only by about 6 months!

    I will check with her cousin to see if he is willing to give his permission for a painting. Thank you very much for asking permission.

    I also have a group photo with Austin Mitchell, brother of Winifred in it as well as other relatives.

    You can contact me on my email address jojodusty@y7mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have added another couple of sites which contain the story of Winnie's murder
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete